The rise of off-shoring and outsourcing means that we are all now competing for jobs on a global basis. Therefore, meandering through your career without any passion or purpose is not going to cut it. Managing your work performance is more important than ever.
- Make yourself indispensible – During tough times business and corporations lean on its biggest asset – people! Here are 5 Ways to be Awesome at Work
- Go after safe jobs – If you have the option, go after jobs that will be safest in difficult times. For example I recently advised a lawyer friend to transfer from property and finance law to mortgage collections and insolvency law.
- Love your work – Even at the best of economic times, the reality is that we all cannot pursue the job of our dreams. Here are 3 tips on how to learn to love and be happy in your job.
- Keep learning and investing in yourself. Increase your skills by doing courses. Go back to university or Tafe if you have to. Sign up for an apprenticeship or traineeship. You may even learn enough to start your own business. Some of the best business ideas were hatched during tough times. Your challenge is to pick your niche and your market. There will be lots of people whose money will not be lost in the crash and whose purchasing power will soar. Cater to them.
- Cut Travel Time to and From Work – Try and get a job that is less than 30 minutes traveling time from home. Time is a very important resource in the 21st century. Travelling saps your energy and chews up valuable time. If it is unavoidable try and work 1-2 days from home, if your job allows it.